Date(s) - Sep 2, Thu
There are 10 places, 9 are still available.
Load from 09:00, brief 10:00 Ropes off 11:00
Stancrest, originally named Glenmore, was a steam powered coastal cargo ship class of 462 tons built in 1920 She measured 48 long by 7 m , and her single screw was powered by a single 3 cylinder triple expansion engine.
At the time of her loss she was owned by the Stanhope Steamship Company Ltd. Stancrest SS left Northfleet (on the Thames) on 27th February 1937 with a cargo of 10,817 paper bags of cement weighing some 554 tons on route from London for Bridgewater. The cargo was piled right up to the height of the hatch beams. According to the transcript of her inquest the cargo was securely stowed and not in a manner which would render it to shift. The vessel went missing after passing St. Catherine’s Point and sank west of Portland Bill on the 28th February 1937 with the loss of 8 crew. Distance from Weymouth 13 miles.